Sunday 21 November 2010

Odd week

Been an odd week. First full week back at work, but even then it started with my triennial medical examination. Somewhat to my relief that didn't seem to reveal anything untoward. Cheeringly I was told I was now passing the age to worry about testicular cancer - and onto the age of prostate cancer. Oh goodie.

And loved the way that medics are so concerned about our feelings. Lying naked on the table I was politely asked if I minded if she touched my genitals. Surely its all about context? In my office I would probably feel such a request a trifle presumptuous, but on the examination table, well that's what I am there for so am fair game.

Then Tuesday night met up with my room-mate for our Middle-East trip. Mike was just spending a week in London before his next jaunt. He seemed wildly enthusiastic about London as a city, which seems a common trait amongst Aussies - odd given we view Australia as the good life. I pointed out that if he was blase about beaches in New South Wales I could take him yo our local equivalents - say Southend or Clacton. I tried not to take all the credit for London personally, and then tried to do the amateur guide bit with advice as to what to do on his remaining days. Well, at least I had some advantages over our Syrian guide - I speak English like a native and have some idea where everything is. Took him to L'Autre for dinner, being London's only Polish/Mexican restaurant (indeed possibly the world's only Polish/Mexican restaurant.)



Then Saturday night was gig night. Off to see Athlete at the Forum. Now I am a bit of an Athlete junkie. The concerts/festivals I have seen them live at must be getting on for double figures now. But never been disappointed even though I have to say the quality of their 4 albums is a consistent downward trend (matched by their sales figures). Had a spare ticket which almost went begging but one of my colleagues has a 14 year-old lad into indie music so I took him. Most agreeable company and how often am I going to get to hang out with a cool teenager? Have to groom the next generation of gig goers as my mates slip into their 30s and beyond with families on the way and so lose their reliability for a night out in Kentish Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment