Sunday 9 January 2011

Happy New Year

So another new year dawns. An attempt to watch the fireworks over the Thames from Hampstead Heath somewhat thwarted by (probably listed) buildings, but had another chance to watch on BBCiPlayer. Truly tremendous display, although with budget cuts going the way they are next year we will probably just get the Mayor of London lighting a sparkler. A tough new year looks to be ahead of us.

I managed to catch Bill Bailey just before the end of his West End run. Got standing tickets, which I didn't realise theatres did. But for the princely sum of £12.50 a handful of us were allowed to lurk at the back of the stalls. Bit tiring but well worth it. He is a really very talented comedian, and musician. His encore of various songs preformed in the style of Kraftwerk (most notably the Wurzels I ve got a new combine harvester) was just so clever. For the uninitiated, Kraftwerk are a po-faced Krautrock band and the Wurzels a jolly west country novelty act. No, well you had to see it. I think my favourite tale he recounted was one on heckling. There was a really bad production of Anne Franks Diary in the West End starring Pia Isadora. It was so bad that when the Nazis stormed onto the stage a member of the audience yelled "She's in the attic!"







And took the opportunity of a glorious Sunday morning to go for a walk in The City. I know, odd given its where I work, but its very different on a quiet Sunday morning. Now I don't wish to sound churlish, but when I say quiet I should say quiet apart from the bells of St Paul's. Could barely hear the dulcet tones of Radiohead on my ipod over that racket. No consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment