Monday 21 March 2011

Battling on

Ok 5 weeks now on crutches and getting well beyond a joke. Now my right shoulder hurts so much I am struggling to use the crutches. So need to be able to stand on my left foot soon before other parts of me give out in sympathy. The good news is that my wound has healed "beautifully" according to the consultant. Yeah, but enough of the aesthetics I just want to be able to walk.

The friends with whom I had been in Cornwall came round on Saturday to take me out which was a welcome break from the sofa and remote control. But in order to cheer up their eldest we decided on a trip to the cinema to see Battle: Los Angeles. A real teenage boy choice of film, and not a very discerning teenager at that. Good camerawork on a truly awful script and plot. Was rather like watching someone playing a war game on the X-box but with better graphics and worse plot and dialogue. Really just a hackneyed war plot where tiny band of courageous fighters beat vastly superior forces all on their own. Has been done a million times before, but always better. And I have to say I found the getting around on crutches really tiring. Far harder than battling intergalactic enemy invasion, or so it seemed.

Got cab back by pulling rank on young mother with small child in pushchair. Sorry my need definitely greater than hers. Classic old style London cabbie. Told me he once refused to take Ken Livingstone (ex-mayor of London for those overseas followers unfamiliar with local politics) on a  journey. Ken said he was obliged to take him provided the destination was within Greater London. "But I can refuse if I have good reason to do so" he replied. "And I do. I find you repulsive." Not sure if true story but I liked it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment