Monday 29 August 2011

SW4

One might think a music festival is an odd thing to attend the week your mother passes away.  In fact I didn't intend to go until after mum died. I guess other people would deal with it by going to church or settling into the family. But as an atheist with no family those aren't possibilities. And I just didn't want to be on my own. Hence I went into the office on Friday even though no one was expecting it, then had dinner with friends which was greatly appreciated. And my mate said he was going to SW4 and would offer distraction therapy so I took the opportunity.

A rather different experience to my norm. I got there early as is my wont, and then got my usual spot at the front for the first few acts. Then Gareth and Claire arrived and the music bit rather went out to be replaced by chat and drinking and some time in the tents listening to dance music. Mood stuff really. And then finished with the headline act - my second viewing of Pendulum in a week, this time with friends twice the age of my companion last week.

Now to start, of course dodgy weather. As you can see from the empty main stage photo, pretty short of grass. But to be fair the mud wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Thought a visit to the tents might be worth investigating, although I didn't recognise any of the acts. This is what a tent looks like empty.  Soon it was thronged with ravers. I rather like the inflatables don't you? Like an inflatable version of biology teaching aids.

First on main stage was Yasmin, attractive young lady with a fine voice. Nothing too exciting but pleasant enough.


Then Wretch 32, a London rapper. Seemed a nice young man, but I just don't get rap. To my mind all the talented ones on stage were those playing the instruments, like the dreadlocked guitarist. Wretch 32 just talked badly. And given the lack of singing, the inaudibility of the lyrics didn't leave much (contrast Plan B at V).




Third on are the delightfully named Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs. Unfortunately this is basically a DJ act, just a bloke pushing buttons on the computer. Actually I rather liked the music, but just where is the"live" bit in this live act? To be fair one might say the same of the Chemical Brothers, but with them you get the totally fabulous light show. With this act you get funny headgear. Some things you can't do on the cheap.  (However later we caught a bit of the much vaunted Radio 1 DJ Annie Mac. And she was the same without the changing headgear - just a rather scary haircut.)




Next on were Digital Sound System. I only caught part of their act before Gareth rescued me and started pumping me full of alcohol and general bonhomie. But they were the best act of the day. Started with various samples, including Message to you Rudy from the Specials. They looked fun and sounded good and would like to see them again if they popped up at a festival.





So then some dance time with Gareth and Claire, and the chance just to chat with young people. Amusing as Claire started with stories of what made her feel old now. But of course she was unfeasibly young and attractive from my nearing 50 perspective. They turned a fair enough music experience into a brilliantly entertaining day. Am so lucky to have such fine friends.  Gareth is such a good mate.



So we finally left the tents to circle back to the main stage for main act Pendulum. Courtesy of yours truly we timed it brilliantly and got a decent spot near the front. Great set again from Pendulum before an enthusiastic audience.  First time Claire had seen them and she seemed suitably impressed.  I hope my presence wasn't too much of a downer for the young lady.














No comments:

Post a Comment