Sunday 28 October 2012

Daniel Sloss

I can't really claim to have my finger exactly on the pulse of modern culture. But on the other hand I do keep my ear close enough to the ground to pick up acts before they are particularly big. So maybe I am not in at the grass roots, but am about in the vicinity of young shoots. So I would say I was with Daniel Sloss, a 22 year old Scottish comedian who is just starting to break into the big time, doing the odd bit of TV work, and touring some not very big venues, but still a cut above playing the back of pubs.

I saw him at the Bloomsbury theatre a comfortable, modern but modest theatre. He is touring with a Geordie comic called Kai Humphries who I had never come across before. Kai was genial, fresh but his act just felt a little forced. May get better with age and a bit more, and stronger material. But not bad.



Daniel Sloss however, was terrific. He has it all, good, funny material, really well presented. He has the ability to sound like it is all just off the cuff, rather than trying to dredge it up from his memory. I have seen enough before to know that it is in fact the product of being very well rehearesd. He is just very funny - I admit maybe not to everyone's tastes and I think some women might be a trifle offended, but overall I think he would go down extremely well on a bigger stage. He also has the plus point of being a good looking guy, for which I feel a female following might forgive the sexist jokes. Sample "Don't talk to me during sex. I had to listen to you for 3 hours to get you into bed, surely that's enough?"

After the rehearsed acts, the pair of them came on stage and did a short question and answer session with the audience. This of course was rather more spontaneous, and they both came out of it with great credit. This was a really good night out. At £15 an absolute steal compared to seeing Michael McInytre say, and I don't think I would have been better entertained by him. My mate seemed to enjoy it too, despite suffering from a hangover from the night before. Daniel was that good. Check him out, before he gets expensive and you have to see him in row Z of a stadium. We were in the second row. Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment