Monday 21 January 2013

Centrale Montemartini and Palazzo Barberini

Centrale Montemartini is clearly not the first name one associates with Rome. Its sort of the equivalent of Tate Modern. Its an old generating plant now being used as a museum of classical antiquities, largely the leftovers from the Capitoline Museums. Its a long way out from the rest of Rome's prime museums, and indeed when I was there I was the only visitor. Which is just very slightly off-putting as the small number of attendants feel they need to do their job, and as I was the only person to watch, they had to watch me. So you went into one of these huge machine rooms and in the corner there would be a girl reading her book. Only with me in the room she would get up and, still with book in hand, follow me round at a respectful distance.

But it was still lovely to be ALMOST alone in the place. It was well worth the walk, well for me anyway.














Not a desperately exciting head, but the point to note are the traces of gilding on the face.








 The temples of Portunus and of Hercules Victor, both closed off and clearly in need of some TLC



Trevi fountain
 


And finally before flying home and to avoid the pouring rain, Palazzo Barberini. A large art collection, attractively presented. Rather a lot of early, frankly rather crude religious works which wouldn't have detained me as long had the weather been more clement. Few photos as mostly paintings, but the staircases, one by the ubiquitous Bernini, the other by Borromini, are rather splendid and photogenic. Well I think so..






La Fornarina by Raphael


No comments:

Post a Comment