Sunday 17 February 2013

Alan Davies

Saturday night and another comedy gig to go to, Alan Davies. Its been a long time since he last did stand-up so I was keen to see what he would be like.

But first I was to meet up with one of my mates who was going to the gig with me and a teenage friend who wanted to find out more from us about going into the law. I chose as a venue for this encounter a Polish restaurant near the Apollo in Hammersmith.  Little did I realise in booking the place that both of my companions had Polish ex-girlfriends in their back catalogues, so the cuisine wasn't quite as novel to them as I anticipated. Indeed Stuart even photographed the menu and texted it on to his ex!

Anyway, the food was really good and we even managed to extract a bill out of them within a reasonable timeframe as the restaurant had just hit maximum capacity when we were leaving. And the raspberry vodka shots were a very nice parting gift. I fancy trying them again to see if their pierogi is better than mine!

Careers advice over, Stuart and I met up with my other mate (who is clearly a glutton for punishment having accompanied me to Frightened Rabbit earlier in the week) and watched Alan Davies.




A game of two halves this. He was much better after the interval. His opening attempt to engage with the audience was really pretty weak. But when he got into the full flow of his routine it was very good. His university days studying drama (4 blokes, one an unhinged hockey player, two chaps going out with each other and 12 women - happy days, except by the end of the course 9 of them were lesbians) his musings on sex, being 46, having babies, imagining what they are trying to say when crying ("Ahem, I think you may have inadvertently put the light out, having left me in this room on my own in a wooden cage. I'm not complaining but perhaps you would like to come back and see me now"), all good stuff.

My mate wondered before hand if he would mumble like he does on QI. Oh yes. Not a slick performer, but a likeable one, and the slightly bumbling nature of the performance at times made it more endearing, at times just a little amateurish.  Its a fine line. Dylan Moran probably walks it better.



No comments:

Post a Comment