Saturday 20 April 2013

Simon Evans at The Soho Theatre

I found myself right at the front for this comedy gig. I was so close I was basically looking up Simon Evans' nostrils, and set down his pint next to mine on my table. Yes it was that sort of gig, not the Hammersmith Apollo. Fortunately he announced that the show was basically a 90 minute show which he has been touring. but had to be compressed into an hour, which meant the audience participation had to go out of the window. "I guess we are all comfortable about that; its was only padding anyway." As I was in pole position, yes I was more than comfortable.

Simon Evans should be better known. Maybe he will be. His style is one of sneering at the lower orders, which I have to say appeals. Remember its comedy, not a manifesto, and you will be fine. So he happily sneers at a wide range of acceptable targets, John Terry, the Guardian, Americans, kids. ("I used to have a nice life with my wife. Now we are sort of governors of a Correctional Facility. My kids are 9 and 5 and they are OK I suppose. But do they really have to live with us? Back in the old days you would send them off to a school in Yorkshire if you lived in London, or London if you lived in Yorkshire. A boy wouldn't even be introduced to his father until he was 12."

I would definitely recommend a night out to see him. You won't be disappointed. Unless you are John Terry.




No comments:

Post a Comment