Saturday 20 July 2013

Of Monsters and Men, the Serpentine and work experience

 My trainee friend commented on the remarkably high proportion of Icelandic bands there were for the size of population there. Not sure that this was a scientific study, but it does happen that I have now seen two with him, the first being their most successful export, Sigur Ros, but the second being Of Monsters and Men who we were watching at Somerset House. My only venture there this year after doing 3 last year. But what a contrast. Last year it tipped down every night. This year it was glorious sunshine. Indeed arguably too warm, although Tom had done the Rolling Stones at the weekend which would have been far, far stickier.

The support band, Asgeir Trausti,  (yes I did have  to look them up) were also Icelandic and a rather morose lot, a bit folky.









Of Monsters and Men however are very jolly. A real feel-good, festival band. They reminded me a bit of Magic Numbers. Their harmonies are very good, and rather better than there voices individually: the female lead singer (rather like a younger Bjork) is a little shrill solo, but her voice blends in beautifully when the guys join in. The fat bloke with the hat just gives that extra bit of bonhomie. It will be interesting to see how they develop. But it would be fair to say they went down exceptionally well with the summery audience.

  






















 







Thursday night I attended a  reception by the Serpentine Gallery at the new pavilion, which is created every year. This year its a cloud like structure created out of metal tubes. Rather attractive really, although a mere folly. But what's wrong with that?


I also had a different experience during the week at work, as I had a friend's teenager for a week's work experience. Last time I had spent any time with him was taking him to a music festival. But he fitted into the office environment very easily as he is a mature lad for his age. And it was nice to give a youngster at least an inkling as to what the job of a commercial lawyer is. I certainly didn't have one when I started.

The trick was of course to find him things to do which one can manage without any legal training. Obviously I wanted to avoid giving him administrative tasks as he isn't going to want to be an administrator, but a lawyer (maybe). I managed to find a couple of self-contained cases, so at least he managed to have a go at writing legal advice. But a solicitor's office, at least at our end, isn't an easy place to give work experience. Bit like giving work experience at brain surgery - you can't just point to an unimportant person and tell them to have a go on that one. On the other hand if you don't get some experience at his age, you next really get the opportunity when you are applying for jobs at the same time and its all getting a bit serious.

Difficult things, careers. You can't really know what they will be like until you start one. Its a bit like jumping off the side of the road blindfolded. Its a leap of faith. You just don't know what will hit you, however much research you might do. But at least he has something on his CV, although hopefully I haven't put him off. I have had a remarkable number of trainees over the years whom I haven't actually put off. And few people would say I am all that positive a person. Anyway, he was good company. And really a man now, almost 18. And I remember him as a baby. Where did those years go...?

No comments:

Post a Comment