Tuesday 31 December 2013

Imagine Dragons and Public Service Broadcasting

Sorry it has been  a while since my last post, due to computer problems. The problem being I am afraid as simple as the need to change a fuse in  plug.

So I am horrendously behind in gigs and plays and things.

The only link between the PSB and Imagine Dragons gigs is a personal one - in both cases I had to go alone as my young partners were both trapped in work commitments at the last moment.

PSB were brilliant again - I reviewed their set at Jodrell Bank earlier in the year.They are very much a one-off and play on their eccentricity. They take old public service films, sample them with dance music over the top, while showing excerpts from these old films. they played some new ones, including two based on inter-war films of ice-skating in holiday. "It was the only way forward for us" they commented wryly. Says everything. A must see.

And so also Imagine Dragons at Brixton. While I had arrived early at the PSB gig and walked in straight away, I couldn't believe the ID gig was literally queuing around the block. A lot of youngsters. I did rather rub it in to my mate James who couldn't make it by sending him the review in the Times which described it as the gig of the year. This was probably fair comment.

Lead singer Dan Reynolds is all one could want in an indie band frontman - strong rock voice and boundless energy with a personality on top. Another  top class American Indie band to enjoy great success over here - Radioactive is one of the best tunes of the year and their debut album Night Visions is excellent. Of course with only one album they don't have a mass of extra material to fill out a gig with, but they did a fine cover of Blur's Song 2 too.

















No comments:

Post a Comment