Sunday 14 December 2014

Dan Sloss at the Royal Albert hall

Well, not in the main auditorium, but in the Elgar Room. Which is a very small space really with no backstage, and packed.

I am not sure why Dan hasn't made it bigger. he has the lot, good material, good looks, good presentation. And sickeningly young at 24. I had a mate down from Leeds for the weekend and this was the feature presentation. "Another winner" is what he said at the end to me. People trust my judgment on comedy now. Well, as this was my 3rd comedy gig of the week, I can at least say that I test the market well.

We had started the afternoon with a tour of the V & A, had a nice Polish meal at nearby Cafe Daquise and then strolled up to the Royal Albert Hall to find out where the Elgar Room was. It is a smallish room with a bar in the back corner and chairs laid out like in a church hall. very low key. Like my previous experience of this young man his support came from a young Geordie comic called Kai Humphries.This works out very well, because Kai is likeable and moderately funny. But what works so well is the contrast with Dan. Its like you see what is ok, and then how to really do it well. Slick well-rehearsed confident presentation, compared to Kai's amiable but rather scattered style,

And of course the material is so much better. Dan just does a few jokes, nicely embellished stories that one laughs at all the way through. All told from the perspective of a very young man rather than the middle-aged who dominate the scene. A very funny tale about having sex with his girlfriend without having properly washed his sands after chopping chillies for dinner for example. His act doesn't particularly rely on blue jokes or bad language, although there is some. Its just very well-judged in my opinion. This chap should go far, although in my view he should have got there already.






No comments:

Post a Comment