Thursday 2 March 2017

Kaiser Chiefs at the O2

I wasn't going to go to see the Chiefs again, not because I dislike them but because of the "again". I have seen them many times over the last 15 years and didn't feel the need for another dose. But my mate persuaded me reluctantly to get tickets only for him to pull out at the last moment due to ill-health. Situation saved by finding a colleague who was going herself, so I duly tagged along. And was very glad I did.

We got there in time to see the end of the set of the opening support act, Howl. Very impressed with them. I would see them again on their own in a small venue.






Next up were Spring King. Although they were second support I preferred Howl. Unusual in having the lead singer as the drummer. I felt that if I listened to their stuff enough I would find the songs had a good hook, but just not very interesting sound on a first listen.







But enough of the hors d'oeuvres. 9:15 and the Chiefs appeared.

Neat start on a small stage in front of the curtain. After a couple of songs the curtain came down, the small stage slid back and they filled the space with lights and action.






 And no one fills a space quite like Ricky Wilson. He fairly charges around, climbs up the speakers and even dashes to the back of the crowd.

You don't go to listen to the quality vocals, but you do have to admire the quality of the songs. They have a fine back catalogue. Not yet got used to their newer stuff, but that my just be a matter of time. And one has to admire the bravery of some of their tunes, like the monotonous, but yet entrancing, "Angry Mob", the simple pleasure of "Ruby" the lyrics of Every Day I love you Leas and Less"

The encore included a sort of funk version of NaNaNaNaNa and an excellent cover of the Buzzcocks "Ever Fallen in Love". The audience (ranging from teens to many folk of my age) lapped it all up. And you couldn't complain about the special effects, the dry ice, sparks, confetti, glitter ball. We got a great show. And Ricky had certainly earned his money by the end. He announced at the start that their job was to entertain us and that they certainly did. You would have had to be a music journalist not to like this. And of course even they would, but can't admit it as its not fashionable to like something popular. So the Chiefs will have to make do with thousands of enthusiastic fans of all ages rather than a tiny audience and the plaudits of the NME.








































No comments:

Post a Comment