Wednesday 24 January 2018

Peter Hook and the Light

 A night of nostalgia I guess. Seeing Peter Hook. bassist with Joy Division and New Order, playing through the Joy Division catalogue. I had seen him do this with old New Order songs, so now we were going even further back in time, indeed to my youth.

And it was good. Of course it was. It was Joy Division. The songs stand the test of time. And go down in time, given I went with both a 30 year old and a 17 year old. This wasn't just an audience of old timers (although yes predominantly so). But highly enjoyable. And a nice finish to my gig year, just before the Christmas break.

But the strange thing for me was listening to all these songs I am so familiar with from Joy Division albums sung by Ian Curtis with his very distinctive spiky vocals, but now sung by Peter Hook. Who just doesn't have anywhere near the voice for them. No range. That isn't to say it wasn't worth hearing, just not the same. Obviously. Poor Ian Curtis; taken from us so young.



Peter Hook's son plays with him. Got a nice kiss on the head from the old man during the gig
















No comments:

Post a Comment