Sunday 4 November 2018

Berlin

Then on to the final leg of my European tour, Berlin. 

Now this is a city I have explored quite thoroughly before - see my blog entries in 2016. But this time my main reason to visit was to attend the European Athletics Championships. That took up most of a week, but did leave a couple of days for sightseeing before they started, as well as some time towards the end when the morning and evening sessions came together, ie when there are no more heats  (which fill up the morning sessions) only finals.

Anyway this means that much of this trip was taken up watching athletics (so see next entry) and only a limited amount mooching around museums and the like.

It also meant that my focus for finding somewhere to stay was somewhere convenient for getting to the athletics, so I looked in Charlottenburg and found just the right airbnb. Now this was what I would call proper airbnb. I have enjoyed several airbnb trips with friends where one is basically renting a flat bought by someone for that purpose. But this was one which met the original purpose, ie staying in someone's home where they had a spare room. So I stayed in Laurene's apartment a short walk from a station on the line to the athletics station. 



Now this was not 5 star accommodation with a view and might not suit everyone, but it suited me just fine. First, it was a very large apartment so I had a big room. I wouldn't use the term airy since the weather was stifling hot, but it was nice. And Laurene was lovely and helpful, definitely a stage above hotel reception. And like so many Germans, perfect English so we could chat away. And a nice large well-appointed bathroom, which is obviously one luxury we all like. Top of an pre-war apartment block with no lift, which would not be ideal if one had lots of heavy luggage, and I admit it was an unattractive climb some days when the temperature was over 30C, but for my purposes absolutely spot on. And because Laurene is also an artist, super cool decor.


And the other feature that I hadn't expected is that just across the road from the station and so on the way "home" were an excellent trattoria and adjacent brasserie which both stayed open until 11pm, giving me the opportunity to eat very well, although ridiculously late, every evening after the athletics.

 

If you like museums then Berlin has what is close to paradise, Museum Island, five major collections in neo-classical buildings (all rebuilt since being utterly destroyed in WW2). 

I had of course only been relatively recently, but was hoping to see the renovated Pergamon Museum which was partly closed when I last visited. Sadly it still was. Its is still awaiting a new wing. But it will be amazing, and is so at the moment, even with a part closed off.


It is just on a different scale to most places, having on one side this Ishtar Gate (above) and on the other side, when you go through it, the Roman market gate of Miletus (below). Truly awesome




 




 

I am not sure nude archery will catch on...




Similarly nude spearing on horseback.



 








 

 
The other museum I had desperately wanted to return to was the German History Museum, which I had left until the last morning of my previous visit. . It is truly excellent - a very fine history lesson.


 


I was interested in this for my Polish connections. My father had said the Poles had saved Europe for the Eastern Hordes. I think this is what he was referring to.

What every little girl needs - a doll with all the little tools she needs for a perfect domestic life.



No comments:

Post a Comment