Saturday 23 February 2019

White Lies at the Forum

Sometimes I just can't find anyone to go to a gig with. no one seems to like White Lies, but I am very partial to them. So off I go on my own.

i have to say I very much enjoyed this show. A more restrained but appreciative audience than most gigs.

I also quite liked the opening act, who announced themselves as Boniface, from Winnipeg, Canada. Probably best described as a band with promise, and that was sort of what White Lies said about them later. Seemed a nice bunch of lads playing indie guitar rock.





 The Forum if you have never been, is an attractive venue. One probably doesn't spend much time looking up at the ceiling, but it is a pretty one.


 And so to White Lies. I had only got out the previous weekend to buy their latest album, Five, presumably titled because its their fifth album. Had been playing it all week, and concluded that it stood up well against past efforts, by no means their weakest release, especially Tokyo, a fine anthemic number.




 Lead singer Harry McVeigh does a lot of impassioned vocals, a lot with his eyes shut, appearing lost in the passion  of his songs. You might find this pretentious. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Bombastic as some of the tracks are, I just appreciate them a lot.












Charles Cave on bass also does the impassioned look throughout




Jack Lawrence-Brown on drums looks as cool as one can be when drenched in sweat.


















To start the encore Harry asks for our indulgence as he does a song solo playing keyboards. Of course we indulge, but don't do it too often Harry. The band really is better than him, and he is not a keyboardist. His voice suits a loud guitar band, not a quiet ballad.











No comments:

Post a Comment