Saturday 18 May 2019

Girona

I won't go into how I ended up being invited along to a Bank Holiday weekend trip to Girona in Northern Spain. Just suffice to say I did and count myself very lucky. This was a terrific weekend break. Would recommend this city to anyone.

The bad news is we travelled out on a late evening Ryanair flight from Luton. Let's just say Ryanair's reputation for customer service is not undeserved. Added to which the small child behind me on the flight had decided to see if he/she could break the world record for the most number of times one could shout "Mama" in two hours. I suspect he/she smashed it. With some to spare.

Girona airport at around midnight is not the liveliest of places. Nor well signposted. We managed to find a kiosk selling coach tickets for the last bus into town. it was just us and the cabin crew. From the bus station we got a taxi to the hotel. It was a late night.

But the hotel, Hotel Costablanca, was very nice and good value. Gave us an excellent base. Modern, clean and a shortish walk into town to pick up our hire car. 



Now we went to the Coast on our first day, which will form a separate entry. But here I wil pick up with some photos of the centre of town in the evening.









This is really the classic image of the City - the river with its jumble of buildings sited hard up to the riverfront


It also has a reputation as a foodie sort of lace (and that is a good reputation to have in my books!) which was entirely justified from our experience. Spanish meal first night


And having gorged ourselves on a Spanish meal relatively early in the evening we wanted to go somewhere for wine. And maybe something to nibble. Instead we ended up getting a bottle of port and a very impressive cheeseboard. 10 cheeses. Gorgeous. But let us just say that I wasn't at my best early next morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment