Monday 3 June 2019

Chihuly at Kew

As I had Monday off and it was a nice day, I decided to go to Kew to see the exhibition of glassworks made by the much vaunted American artist Dale Chihuly.

As it happens, if I spend a day at Kew I take endless photos. Well, over 500 anyway. So I am going to break down my visit into some more bite size pieces. Starting with one featuring mainly Chihuly's works which were scattered across the Gardens.


I think this is actually the most impressive of his creations - Sapphire Star






 The Shirley Sherwood Gallery was largely turned over to an exhibition of his smaller pieces. Again my favourite was the first.





















This is Lime Crystal Tower




Now I had not climbed up the Pagoda in nearly 50 years, it having been closed for most of the intervening period since my early childhood. But it has now been restored and re-opened, so I really felt I should give it another go.














 The views from the top of the Pagoda are great, although it would have been nicer if the windows had been opened. But health & safety I guess.












An automaton model of Kew





 There is  small patch devoted to just Philadelphus varieties (better known as Mock Orange)





And now the next Chihuly work, "Nijima Floats" set in front of the Japanese Gateway












 











The Japanese Gateway









No comments:

Post a Comment