Wednesday 31 July 2019

Grand Canyon, North Kaibab Trail

This was our second day at the Canyon. Having skirted the rim yesterday we were going to take the plunge and go down the canyon walls. There is only one proper trail on the North Rim into the Canyon - the North Kaibab Trail. Now you are advised that going to the valley floor and back in a day is just not an option for a normal person. To state the obvious, down is relatively easy, up is a real challenge. And if you are going to do any of it you should start early before the sun comes out and you are looking at 30C. 

We didn't start early. Indeed it was getting on for midday as we had a long drive to get to the Canyon. Our originally booked nearby cabins had been damaged by the snows so we needed to sleep further afield.

I had decided that however far we were going, I wasn't going to go as far as the others. Quite simply it would have been an unfair struggle. Although they said they would take it easy on the way back, I would want to take it easier, and would slow them down. As it turned out this was a good idea. Actually I found the climb back up very comfortable, despite the heat and lack of shade. It was just lovely to go back at my own pace. Which was slow, and left me lots of opportunities for photography, including chasing butterflies. In addition to the views down there was plenty of flora and fauna to admire. 













 



































An alternative to hiking the trail is to take a mule. Quite a lot of people seem to take this option. Didn't appeal to me. Also a biohazard. They leave a lot of poop on the trail. And urinate freely. A very unpleasant smell, slightly reminiscent of cold tea.










As Thibault and Clarissa went further down than I anticipated, I could have gone down further than I did too. In the end I had a fair wait at the top for them, but with cold spring water on tap I didn't mind. Got chatting to a bloke who had climbed up from the base that morning. He seemed ok, but his mate was in a bit of bother. That is a big climb and it was very hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment