Thursday 24 October 2019

Two Door Cinema Club at the O2

I almost didn't get into this gig.

Being vertically challenged , I like to get there early and stand in my favoured spot at the front in the corner. However, no sooner than I had had my ticket swapped for a wristband  I was challenged by a burly security guy demanding to know whom I was with and what I was seeing.  After informing the security guard that I was on my own, but would be meeting up with friends who were caught up at work and that I was there to see Two Door Cinema Club, he demanded to know why I was going to see that band and required me to name their songs.

The security guard then said I would have to wait to speak to his superior.   When I protested to the other female security person I was told to look around at the age of the people there.  It was made very clear to me that I was being held solely because I was older than other audience members and that I was therefore suspected to be a sex pest or the like.  When there was no sign of his superior arriving, the security guard made a further phone call to get an ETA.  While I waited, I was not so much as offered a seat and was told I was forbidden from even looking at my mobile phone. I was just made to stand there in front of the passing concert goers.

The head security guy eventually arrived, along with no fewer than three police officers.  The officer who finally spoke to me was highly professional and clearly embarrassed at having to “interview” someone for the “crime” of being older than the typical audience member (and only a few years older than him).  The officer ran a criminal record check on me, which of course came up clean.  Obviously there was nothing to check out as I have never had as much as a parking ticket. And I also had not acted in any way that could be perceived as suspicious as I literally had only walked in.

By this point I had been held for the best part of half an hour, and you would expect that security would now usher me in with a fulsome apology for detaining me.  But no. The security guards had a discussion between themselves and then wanted more information about the friends who would be joining me for the gig.  I once again, showed the texts from my friend saying he was stuck in the office and the head of security said he couldn’t understand how I would be meeting up.  Even at this point he gave the impression that he did not actually believe my story (not that one should have been required).  Eventually,  I was grudgingly allowed into the gig.

Needless to say I did eventually catch up with my mates, with whom I attend many gigs, and they were utterly outraged on my behalf, as is everyone else I have mentioned this story to at work. But this should serve as a warning to people that they may be detained at the O2 for no reason as standard security policy. Or be aware of the need at the O2 to be able to justify your attendance on top of buying a ticket, or expect to be prevented from seeing a show and be detained indefinitely if you cannot convince someone that you are not a potential criminal because of the way you look.

You will gather I wasn't happy.

But eventually I did get in in sufficient time to see the support acts. Sports Team were quite decent. lead singer fancied himself a bit as the new Jagger.




Next up was Tom Grennon. Worrh seeing. And hearing. Tremendous voice.







And finally Two Door. Another storming set which went down very well with he largely very young audience. They have such a strong set of albums, very much including their latest, that they could play twice the time without affecting the quality.
















No comments:

Post a Comment