Monday 24 February 2020

Bombay Bicycle Club at Alexandra Palace

At the outset let me explain why the photos on this entry are not up to the usual standard. Well, it is obvious from the photo below that I was just not in my usual spot at the front. A mate's mate had bought the tickets, so I had first to meet up with my mate, and then meet up with his mate. So all took a bit of time, and certainly too late to see a support act. Not complaining as very much enjoyed a pre-concert drink with Bish, and then very much enjoyed the gig itself.

I often note the demographics of gigs. Sometimes all youngsters, sometimes very wide age-range. This was all (barring me) thirty-somethings. It was like a Friends reunion. 

You could easily miss Bombay Bicycle Club (BBC to aficionados) altogether, or even if you have heard of them wouldn't be able to name a tune. They don't really do anthems. But they certainly have an enthusiastic following; enough to fill Alexandra Palace. This concert was heavy on their new album, justifiably so as their comeback album is very good. (Or "pointless" according to the Guardian review I read, but unfortunately that more aptly reflects Guardian reviews than it does what they are reviewing. No rapping about racism and so no point in doing an album....)

It was only in buying the new album and then playing it a few times, along with a couple of the older ones I own, that I remembered why I liked them so much. This isn't in your face rock, but subtle interesting tunes with a complicated layered sound. A good night.

  







And in order to beat the hordes at the end, I then circled right to the back during the encore so that I could be by the exits at the finish. And below is the view from the back of the hall. Why I don't stand at the back...

No comments:

Post a Comment