Thursday 13 August 2020

Memorial round trip to Clerkenwell

 As I was in the City, I decided that I wanted to take a walk up to Clerkenwell and back, essentially a walk I did hundreds of times with my late, lamented friend Dan. We did this most days after lunch to get a walk from our old offices on Aldersgate Street up to the church on Clerkenwell Green and back. Just a  good way of remembering Dan, on my own. 
































Passed by the Hand & Shears pub. Used to be our local pub. Been busier but nice to see it open at least.



St Bartholmews church was actually open so I thought I would pop inside. Amusingly it had signs warning to keep at least two metres apart, and with a maximum of 25 visitors at a time. In their dreams! Did they think it was a pub? Although it it was lunch and so the most popular time for visiting city churches, I was the only one there. Can only keep two metres away from someone if there is anyone about. There was not.












Smithfield Market. Operational but quiet






St John's Gate








I stopped off for lunch at the Crown Tavern. And a pint. Which became two. God it was hot.








Finished in Charterhouse Square. One of the many anchronistic places in the City. A medieval alms house and garden square should have ended up a mega block of offices. But it isn't






No comments:

Post a Comment