Saturday 26 June 2021

Tate Britain

So, I was passing Tate Britain and thought, why not pop in? I must admit this was in part to escape the freezing cold of a British summer's day in June. Now the answer to why not is that I hadn't booked and now you need to book. But thanks to the wonders of a mobile phone I found I could book a half hour ahead. So I did.


So that left me with half an hour to wander about. Fist view across the Thames to the MI6 building.








The Morpeth Arms, originally built for the warders at the Millbank penitentiary, the prison which predated the art gallery.

The streets around here are beautiful, if you like a nice orderly terrace.


Statue to the pre Raphaelite Millais that stands behind the Tate




St Johns Smith Square, not now a church but a concert venue. Designed by Thomas Archer it is supposed to be one of London's finest Baroque buildings. It is certainly one of the most unlucky having twice been struck by lightning twice (yes it does strike twice...) and then taking a hit in the Blitz, so had to be rebuilt post-War



Smith Square has some excellent Georgian terraces.








And by now I could circle back to visit Tate Britain.




I quickly went into the Clore Galleries to see the Turner collection. When looking at these one concludes that he is not a one trick pony, but developed his style over time, encompassing the grand history painting style as well as his more famous impressionistic style.









I especially like this moonlit scene



The very familiar sculptures of Henry Moore.










The exhibition in the main halls was interesting.






This has the honour of being the oldest painting in the British collection. Other interesting fact is the background was bright blue - the pigment has deteriorated to this dull brown.



Canaletto of Horse Guards parade - which I would visit shortly





 

No comments:

Post a Comment