Thursday 1 July 2021

Nero at the British Museum

Even though I am a member, in these Covid times I still had to book to see this exhibition on Nero. I chose the opening time, 10am, on basis that it would be quietest.

Going through Bedford Square I thought I would take a photo of the Duke of Bedford.


There is a one way system in the BM now, so though could enter at front through its grand entrance I had to exit through the rather less exciting Edwardian rear egress.



The exhibition is really very worthwhile, my only criticism being the weird dumbing down. I say that in that alongside many of the sensible information boards there are a series of utterly stupid questions which I guess is just the museum trying to pretend to be interactive in the modern age. Basically the questions are along the lines of "Nero did this? How would you feel?" Not so much thought-provoking as mind numbing.

The main thrust of the exhibition is a rehabilitation of Nero. All the traditional stories of his indifference to the plight of Rome and personal vanity were written by his enemies. Evidence from inscriptions etc reflect more his popularity. And his unpopularity with the ruling senatorial classes might have been precisely because he was more inclusive than they would have liked, promoting freedmen for example.


So that is all interesting, but it is enough just to look at the standard of craftsmanship of many of the exhibits - the quality of paintings and sculpture nearly 2000 years old.











No comments:

Post a Comment