Monday 13 September 2021

Passenger at Brixton Academy

Passenger is actually a bloke not a band. (It used to be a band, but he kept the name after it broke up even though he just plays solo. His real name is Michael Rosenberg, less rock and roll, or indeed less folk, as he is essentially a folk singer.)

Now folk music is not really my thing, but I was invited along by a friend who had a spare ticket, and I don't play hard to get.

By curious coincidence I found the support act was Gabrielle Aplin, a name which was vaguely familiar to me. And after the gig I found out why - she is promoted by the girlfriend of one of my mates and I remember her being discussed at a dinner party I hosted! So small world. Anyway, she has a great voice, and plays both guitar and keyboard. But ultimately it is folk music and riven with, to my ear, rather dreary love songs. No doubt very talented at what she does, but ultimately not for me. 





Passenger, although also very much in the folk singing genre, is a rather different kettle of fish. Songs are about much wider subjects, they are more varied, he plays guitar only but can do so in a more aggressive, powerful, manner. And of all the acts I have seen over the decades, he has the best patter. He spent a while busking and you can see that, both from the simple guitar style and the way to attract an audience. He was funny and modest and engaging. And while he is not all that well known (with one song that was a worldwide hit) he has a clearly quite devoted following and had sold out Brixton Academy: no mean feat. In short, you just had to like Passenger even if folk isn't your bag. I did.








No comments:

Post a Comment