Monday, 31 August 2026

A nature walk in the back garden in Dumfriesshire

August means my annual trip to Edinburgh for the Fringe. And now having two close friends living there, its only fair that I spread my favours and visit them both, isn't it?

So first up I spent a long weekend with my old mate Jae. And in addition to his work home in Edinburgh he has also acquired a country residence in rural Dumfriesshire. Which is where we resorted to on Friday evening after work.
And Saturday morning I took a walk around (while he was mowing the lawns). Stupidly I went out in my slippers - which is what I do in my back garden in the parched deserts of North London. Wrong move in the long lush grasslands of southern Scotland. I got very wet feet. But its  a lovely big old house to wander around, with beautiful semi-wild gardens. I had visited before, but not in summer when it is at its best.








As you can see, it doesn't lack for acreage



The upper lawns are continuously mowed by a solar powered hover mower - Harriet







The further expanse of grassland needs a more hands on approach - Jae on his ride on mower




The garden pond, with bridge to its own island



























 

No comments:

Post a Comment