Sunday 3 April 2011

Spring has sprung

Ok I am convinced Spring has come. Sun shining sufficiently to venture out without a coat (although currently I won't do so as I appreciate the extra pockets in which to carry things), my clematis blooming on the patio, the cricket season has stared and, the real tell-tale sign, so has my hayfever. Itching eyes today and a nice sneezing fit on the Tube. Yes spring is here at last.

Years gone by I had horrendous hayfever in the summer like normal people, but then there was safety in numbers. But my allergy to grass pollen has all but disappeared now, leaving just my allergy to tree pollen. Which starts ridiculously early. So no one believes its hayfever but assume I have flu and try to give me a wide berth. At least I think that's why they give me a wide berth...


Anyway, took my life into my hands today and decided to experiment with public transport on crutches. Bus easy to get on and off, BUT not so easy to get to a seat before the driver sets off, making it feel like a game out of Total Wipeout. The Tube was also easier than I thought, at least in getting ON to the escalators. Getting off at the bottom is a little scary and you need to have your wits about you to get feet and crutches off together sharpish.

Visited the Afghanistan exhibition at the British Museum. Nice enough, but a little short to justify the £10 admission fee. And I wish I had noticed the disabled lift on the way up rather than the way down.

Have started physiotherapy on the old foot now. Quite pleasant experience, other than finding  the physio's room is up four flights of stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment