Saturday 25 June 2011

Hard Rock Calling; Killers in Hyde Park

Ok, what did I do to offend the weather Gods. Second successive open air gig when it has chucked it down. Not enough child sacrifices? Well sorry, but  parents get very sniffy today about having their little ones slaughtered to appease the Gods. Aztecs had a much more public spirited attitude. And probably less rain.

The other thing that struck me about the evening was how few people bother with weather forecasts. Several blokes around me were just in t-shirts and one tried to use my old newspaper to keep the rain off his hairless bonce. (The quicker amongst you may be aware of paper being rarely used for its water proof qualities, because it hasn't got any.) At least I had a raincoat to survive 5 hours in the rain.



Once more my mate's lad faced an unexpected (to him) curfew so I had to flog my spare ticket to a tout for a pretty awful return. But however bad the weather, I did at least get to see the Killers at what I strongly suspect will be their best ever. Sometimes you just go to a gig and you know the band will never be able to beat that. And that was how I felt in a rain-soaked Hyde Park. And I am sure the thousands of young people of all ages from (from pretty small kids to some of us with grey or no hair) will feel the same. If you missed this one you really missed out.

They were supported by essentially two acts, James and the Kaiser Chiefs. For those with no interest in popular beat culture, look away now, although you may learn something. (Nothing useful, but something.)

James

This lot seem to have reinvented themselves as a festival band. Tim Booth, now with trademark bald head and little beard, rather fancies himself, and also has a trademark dance style which would embarrass any dad at a wedding. Think epileptic fit without actually falling over. Problem with them in my mind is that they have never produced any song to match their one genuine hit, "Sit Down" which duly got the whole crowd singing when it came in the middle of their set, (well minus a small proportion of the teenagers in the crowd who just looked a little bemused at what all the fuss was about).


Kaiser Chiefs

Now I have much more time for the Chiefs. Ricky Wilson is a superlative front man, good chat and bounds around the place energetically, all making up for his rather limited vocal range. Certainly more limited than his material calls for. But they did do what I feel is slightly contrary to etiquette. When at festivals, you should play your best known stuff. Keep new material for your own tour with your own fans, not the generalist public. And so this had some new stuff interleaved with their best bits, including rousing versions of "I love you less and less" to start and "Oh my God" to close. Fine, but not the best I have seen them, and they were facing by now a wet and cold crowd.


Killers

But, as trailed above, the Killers were utterly brilliant. Lead singer Brandon Flowers can camp it up a bit sometimes, and has sensibly given up the beard. Tonight in black shirt and waistcoat, clean shaven and short hair, he looked young and fit and ready for serious indie rock and roll (which indeed was the song he opened with.) And this set really was just all their very best material all in one, including their excellent version of Joy Division's Shadowplay, and I liked the original. Brandon absolutely beasted it. Tremendous front man, great voice and just so many really strong songs. AWESOME.





Fine light display too, and fireworks to close. And at least I had my own bed (dry) and a bath to go home to, unlike those at Glastonbury. And they only had the aging, tax evading has beens U2 to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment