Sunday 3 July 2011

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Oh God. There are 3 hours of my life I will never get back. Actually may have been less that 3 hours, but just felt like it.

Famous Tom Stoppard play, fine production, but that doesn't mean one is going to like the play. And I didn't, despite the rave reviews. "Barrel of laughs" said one critic. Has he ever seen how big a barrel is? "Small cup of mild chuckles" would be less of a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act. "Engaging" said another, and that was the complete opposite of the case in my view. I felt totally disengaged. Ok I knew I was watching something clever, a modern  play brilliantly interspersed with scenes from Hamlet. But it wasn't funny and had no human emotions. Rather like watching a piece of abstract art for an hour or two. Zzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment