Saturday 16 July 2011

Hurts and Dylan Moran

Having survived a bout of plague (ok man flu maybe) I managed to get myself together to go to see the Hurts at Somerset House. Now, first thing to say is this is an amazing venue. Courtyard of a 17th century palace tends to knock the spots of most modem venues, provided its not raining. And for once it wasn't. So nice to be able to stroll there from the office. Even nicer to watch the sun go down, but alas rather too cloudy for that. But you can't have everything. Other catch is the way you have to enter in single file. So a slow process. But once inside, well just very civilised.

Anyway my little group of 4 of us eventually managed to meet up during the second support act. The crowd eventually managed to coax the singer to announce who they were and it turned out to be Saint Saviour. Singer was a cross between Kate Bush and Bjork. Opened with a Depeche Mode cover (which took me a while to dredge up from my memory banks).

And then the wonderful Hurts. So much better live than on cd. Splendidly bombastic eighties synth stuff with a modern twist. Lead singer Theo Hutchcraft (I know, not the most rock 'n' roll of monikers) has a fine voice and mildly camp manner.Two female dancers added bits of extra stage presence in a sort of art deco style. But overall just very good stuff. Much enjoyed by both my current trainee and an-ex trainee in my little group (does my social life revolve too much round other lawyers?).


And finished with an encore of Better than Love accompanied by jets of pink paper, for a simple but rather dazzling effect. Wouldn't like the job of picking up the litter afterwards though.

Dylan Moran the following night at Hammersmith Apollo gave a rather more laid back performance. Now one of the traits with Dylan live, and one I have discussed with my companions, is whether or not he is half pissed while performing. If not, he gives a very good impression. But if he is then he manages to hold it all together wonderfully well. He often seems almost to have lost the thread, but then will come back with lovely little lines like "Now where was I?. Oh I know. I was just talking to you... About .... Stuff."  Did  a great bit about going to first posh dinner party and being confronted by a starter. "That's not food. Its a prawn pole dancing on a breadstick."

And as befits a man of his (and my) age, did material on that. "I've got to the age my wife comes in and tells me about other men of my age who were doing normal things like jogging or having breakfast, and dropped down dead." Or "I have a 9 year-old son, who like every man I want to respect and revere me. But he comes in from school and I ask what he has done and he doesn't even talk to me. He just pokes his fingers in my stomach and goes "wibble, wibble, wibble" and then storms off in a giggling fit."

Like a plethora of Irish comics, he uses his Irishness very well with those little homespun tales. "My granny gave me a very good piece of advice. Never have sexual relations with more than 11 people. At one time.  It affects your work on the farm."

A great way to end a week as its just so undemanding. All you have to do is listen and laugh. Just a pity that one of my companions was up half the night with a brief and the other was jet-legged after a holiday in Canada. Well it was warm, and dark and really easy to nod off....

No comments:

Post a Comment