Monday 11 July 2011

Nuremburg and Newcastle

No, not some horrendous town-twinning exercise....

Trial at Nuremberg

Went to this play at the Tricycle Theatre in Kilburn, so off my normal track in two ways, firstly because it was an amateur production (although very well done and secondly because its Kilburn, which isn't very convenient travel wise (unless you live in Kilburn but who would want to do that?)

So not exactly a barrel of laughs, but certainly a very engaging play based on the Nuremberg war trials and in particular the trial of the Minister for Justice in the Third Reich. In all very thought-provoking, although clearly a well worn subject. It did keep emphasising the point that no Germans seem to have known what the Nazis did, which is just a little implausible given the scale of their atrocities. But what would any of us have done in their place. Would one have risked one's own life to stand up, or at least not turn a blind eye? Well I am sure I wouldn't have done. But nor would I have voted for Herr Hitler. The guilt lies surely not in failing to stand up to these tyrants when the tipping point has passed and its difficult, but in failing to stand up to them early on when it was easy, or easier.

Newcastle 

And then up to Newcastle for my annual trip to see my best friend from University. The joy of this every time I go up is it reminds me why we were best friends in the first place. Friday night we went down the pub for a pint, then onto Italian restaurant and back to a pub for one for the road. The mundane description of the evening in no way conveys the real pleasure of the experience. Which was truly immense. Couldn't even tell you what we talked about, although I am sure we righted most of the ills of the world. If only we had written them down.

Then Saturday we dodged the showers to visit the Roman fort of Vindolanda. Of the fort itself there is little more than foundations to see, but a reconstructed turret is also helpful.







The museum has however been revamped and has a remarkable collection due to the boggy ground preserving items that you just can't imagine surviving 2000 years. In addition to countless leather shoes (well I say countless but no doubt someone has counted them somewhere) there are things like socks and hairnets and the crest off a centurions helmet. And given that they don't have the greatest treasure dug up there, the tiny scraps of letters written on wood shavings, they have an excellent display relating to them.





Then onto the new Roman Army museum 5 miles down the road. Now boasting a 3D film which was rather good and excellent reconstructions of weapons, armour etc, this was well worth the detour.




In stark contrast to English heritage's offering at the next fort along, Birdoswald. Not much in the way of excavated ruins and a rather pitiful little visitor centre was very poor value for my fiver. At least we managed to avoid the most torrential downpours while in the open.

And I made a new friend - Sooty the cat. Now I have never been fond of pets, but cats don't seem to notice my indifference. And Sooty made a bee-line for me. However, my Dr Doolittle bubble was burst by little Emma telling me she made friends with everybody. And I thought I was special...

No comments:

Post a Comment