Friday 15 June 2012

British Modern Design

I finally got round to seeing the British Design 1948-2012 Exhibition at the V & A. I can't say I was that thrilled by it. Spans so much, some of which was interesting (eg the look of computer games) and others which I wouldn't describe as design at all (eg clips from some iconic films) which I wouldn't really call design so much as taste in fashion. Plus some iconic objects, like the trim phone, apple mac computer and of course various items of utilitarian post-war furniture which we take for granted. And Concorde (no not the whole plane). And a Mini and an E-type Jag (yes whole ones).




But the V & A also has an exhibition on by one particular design studio, the Heatherwick Studio. Smaller, but this time utterly fascinating. Really really interesting. And properly what I would call design. Things like the new routemaster bus, roll-up bridges, benches, architecture, even quirky xmas card designs. Quite inspirational. Genius at work. Go!







After that I did my usual wander round some of the statuary and just enjoyed the look of the place as a whole.






















And then headed up for a proper snoop around the new ceramics galleries on the top floor. Which I like very much. The V & A has a huge collection of pots, but they are now very cleverly displayed.

















No comments:

Post a Comment