Tuesday 10 July 2012

More Helsinki


Helsinki is quite well known for its modern architecture. One of the regular spots on the tourist trail is the Church of the Rock.

Now this is the opposite of your typical Gothic (or indeed Renaissance) church which sticks up a great spire (or dome) to shout to all around that "here is the church". The Church of the Rock goes the opposite way - it digs underground. With the result that there is sod all to see above ground. I did my best to photograph the dome, but its pretty damn unimpressive. You really need an aerial shot and I haven't yet run to booking a helicopter to improve my photo angles.



But the interior is pretty striking. A pikey's dream though - the dome is constructed out of 13 miles of copper tubing. Imagine being able to strip that roof and sell it for scrap.








The Finlandia Concert Hall is also highly regarded, but I must admit it leaves me rather cold.





I prefer the National Museum over the road, built in a rugged mock medieval style. I like the stone bear on the staircase too.







In this area there is also a large park through which I went every day to see the athletics. Some rather fine views across the water, including across to the amusement park. .



And there is also this rather odd little pool. Note above it the four poles which look like street lights, but are actually four hands. Its a memorial to Finnish president who was apparently well known for his extravagant hand gestures when talking. Different

I also rather admired the Parliament building. Ok not in the league of Westminster or Budapest, but a nice rhythmic severity.

No comments:

Post a Comment