Tuesday 17 July 2012

The Temper Trap

My second Somerset House gig of the week. And more rain of course.

Six of us headed off to this gig, a rather bigger crowd than I normally muster. And rather taller. This has a certain significance. Firstly it means I was somewhat further back than normal for me - people aren't keen on a bunch of six footers at the front. Hence my photos are a little more distant than usual. And also when one is vertically challenged like me, one finds one's companions can talk over one's head. Literally. Only an issue if one is trying to follow conversation against a noisy background. Like, say, a rock gig. But nevertheless I enjoyed it immensely, both the youthful (and lofty) company and the music.

First off was Chet Faker (quite good)

Then Alt-J who were recommended to me but I found rather insipid.

But finally the Temper Trap. I have seen them before. In better weather. But this time they had a second album to augment their repertoire. They are an Australian outfit, although I believe they may have moved to London. Certainly their new album features a song about the London riots, probably not typical subject matter for an Aussie band..

Their USP is the voice of Dougy Mandagi. Many singers manage falsetto, but usually in a slightly screeching manner, straining at the top of their vocal range. But he has power with it, allowing his vocals to comfortably soar above the music. Yes, I like them a lot. A very enjoyable, and only slightly soggy, evening. And one cannot but like Somerset House as a venue. Rather special, even in the rain.







No comments:

Post a Comment