Saturday 30 November 2013

Gallerie d'Accademia - well it was a wet day in Venice

First day in Venice was going to be wet according to the weather forecast. So I decided it was day for art galleries.

And wet it certainly was. Indeed St Marks Square was flooded. The hotel, being a good one, gave me diposable wellies to wear. I needed them as I would have been up to my ankles in water as soon as I stepped out of the hotel door.

But it does make it quite scenic for photos. See
Calla Larga san Marco, on which my hotel sat. Wellies definitely needed



 St Marks Square very firmly under water





Some brollies just aren't up to the task








Its ok, this is an actual canal; ts supposed to be water filled


Campo St Moise















Palazzo Barbaro



So, after that very scenic walk in rain and flood, I finally got to the Galleria. This is the major art gallery in the city - star work perhaps being  Giorgione's the Tempest, although it is rather lost in the huge room it is in.




No comments:

Post a Comment