Sunday 16 March 2014

Bombay Bicycle Club at Brixton

Top combo of a good indie band at my favourite venue.

We arrived just in time to see the first warm up act disappear. Unfortunate as the second was really a pet hate of mine. I like guitar bands, so a solo female artist playing keyboard and singing ballads in a yelping voice had nothing going for it in my book. Still, for what its worth, this is Rae Morris. Any resemblance to a sheepdog is no doubt accidental.

In contrast there was Bombay Bicycle Club, not an Indian Restaurant, and although shortened to BBC by fans, I shall avoid that for obvious reasons of confusion.

They are touring their new album, their fourth, "So long see you tomorrow", which I have played quite a bit to get used to and I have to say is again very good. Certainly I and my two work colleagues were very impressed by the gig. You definitely get a lot more from seeing them live. Yes they sound great on CD as they are a talented band with clever, nuanced songs. But they have a  much harder and more exciting sound when seen (and heard!) live. Indeed during their encore a mosh pit even formed at the front for a couple of songs including the excellent "Carry me", which you wouldn't have believed possible from hearing it only on record. Definitely a band for the jangly-guitar aficionado, like me.




















No comments:

Post a Comment