Sunday 30 March 2014

Interpol and Temples

I went, as is my wont, to the  NME tour gig on Thursday at Brixton Academy. A very good night as always. Dinner and a couple of drinks at the Satay Bar round the corner beforehand and then to the Academy to catch the last two acts.

I really like Temples, a bit of modern psychedelia. Their debut album Sun Structures is very good. My new trainee liked them a lot, as well as Interpol, whom he said were great live even if not that interesting on cd. I didn't hesitate to go into full "I told you so " mode. Why do people always seem surprised when I take them to anything good? (Andy was a bit reluctant to go, but I observed that while he had no need to suck up to his supervisor, it would be a brave career move on his part to turn it down. He complained a bit about emotional blackmail, but I pointed out how preferable that was to the financial and physically threatening kinds which are the traditional alternatives. He saw sense.)

Anyway, back to the gig. Seen a bit of sneering about Temples as obviously psychedelia is a bit old hat. But that is very naive. Almost everything is derivative to some degree, but a band that goes to something like T Rex as an influence rather than just follow current fashion is doing something different in my book. And they are very competent musicians with fine vocals.










Yo shouldn't go to see Interpol live for their charisma, exciting presence on stage or engagement with the audience. But what you get is enormous drive. So well worth seeing, and hearing, for that reason. Although they didn't totally justify the St Vitus dancing from the tubby bloke next to me. He was only just short of having a fit. And then to my right I had a young couple who at one stage were not far off full sexual intercourse. Time and place people. At one point I felt like advising them to break and just breathe - it was close to a health & safety issue!









No comments:

Post a Comment