Saturday 11 July 2015

Norfolk Country Cottage

A week's holiday with friends in Norfolk is a bit of a change from my normal holidays. Firstly a family holiday (just not my family, had to bring one in), secondly no cities involved and thirdly in England, renowned for its perfectly reliable weather. But then it is a bit ridiculous that I have twice been to North Borneo, but never to Norfolk even though its only a couple of hours away on the train.

So I booked up the Old Coach House in Pentney, a hamlet in rural Norfolk between Kings Lynn and Swaffham. I took the train up to Kings Lynn (delayed by broken down train in Hertfordshire) while my friends drove down from Cheshire (delayed by jams on M6 and the odd tractor). But we all came together in the end.

And it was a nice enough cottage - decent amount of character, cornfields opposite, a secluded garden and for the kids, a swimming pool.












Catches? Well the cottage was a bit cramped. Wi fi was patchy at best. Mobile reception non-existent. The pool was very nice, and good that we had exclusive use. But it was also chlorinated to near poisonous levels, leaving us at best itching away, and at worst Kit needed covering with cream to stop him looking irradiated. And his bed was too tiny too so the poor bloke couldn't sleep. In the end I gave him my bed and I slept on the sofa. At least it was a comfy sofa. And I am very short. As Kit constantly reminds me now from his lofty height.


No comments:

Post a Comment