Saturday 14 May 2016

TheTruth

A big shout first for the venue.


This was my debut visit to the Meniers Chocolate Factory. I went with a couple of friends from work and we had booked dinner beforehand in the restaurant. So first plus point is it was only a 10 minute walk from the office across the Thames into Southwark.


Second plus point was the restaurant. Food was very decent - had a very tasty lamb rump steak, but the efficiency of the service was top notch. The waiter actually asked us if we were going to the play and brought our bill before we had finished dessert. The semi-industrial décor was pleasant enough too - not too artful. Not overpriced either. Definitely worth going for food alone.


Although the small theatre has bench seats they were comfortable upholstered so it was a pleasant physical experience.


And the play was best of all. It was very funny. It is the second work by French playwright Florian Zeller I have seen this year, but whereas The Father was largely serious, this was largely comic, although by no means a farce. It starts in a hotel bedroom with a middle-aged man having an affair with his best friend's wife. It proceeds with a series of twists as "The Truth" comes out, but none of the twists quite enter the realm of farce, however unlikely they might be. The jolliest joke really is that its not multiple sexual infidelity that causes most upset, but rather the thought that one man might have been letting the other win at tennis for years. Wife "swapping" is one thing but sporting integrity is on a higher plain!


Anyway, looking forward to my next visit to the Meniers Chocolate Factory in June to see David Baddiel. We will do lunch there for that one.
I am typing this entry after my third bicycle lesson. I think I can reasonably claim to be able to ride a bike now. My second lesson was going around a car park in Bermondsey outside a biscuit factory that now has multiple uses, one of which is an indoor climbing centre. Anyway, buy the end of that I was whizzing around ok and even able to dodge through parked cars like an obstacle course. However real direction left a bit to be desired, as did cornering.
My third lesson ventured into the local park and this went quite well. I didn't hit anyone, although did have rather too close an encounter with a hedge. But by the end I seemed to be able to do circuits ok and even managed a fair number of tight turns. A particular triangle took a number of attempts - one corner involving almost a chicane and downhill to boot - but eventually I mastered it.
Problem is how sore I feel after it. Ok I can ride around now and even avoid the combined menace of small children, dog walkers and one of those annoying women who wander round trying to leave food for birds. But its not a comfortable experience. My nether regions would certainly prefer a much wider seat. Like in a car. Or just walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment