Monday 1 May 2017

Kerameikos

This is the cemetery of Ancient Athens. It is clearly not much visited, which is a pity as there is plenty to see, although most of the better sculptures are casts with the originals in museums.






















There is an on-site museum, with an outside and inside section which is worth a good look.

Many of the more elaborate grave markers have a scene something like this one - the deceased is seated and shown shaking hands with the living, as if to say farewell. I find that rather touching.

























At the other end of the site beyond he graves are a further temple and some pretty in tact drainage systems. Ok drainage isn't quite as sexy as statues, but its rather fundamental, so interesting to see how it was all done. A river ran through this site in ancient times.









After a day of 3 museums and a cemetery, I took a fair walk to a highly-rated restaurant called Simul. Gastronomic fine dining. It looked very cool and the service was excellent. The food was well cooked, but the catch was there was virtually none. I know fine dining does come with a reputation for small perfectly presented dishes, but this was ridiculous. My main course of kingfish was just two small fillets in a thin sauce, sat on a thin slice of celariac. I needed to order profiteroles for dessert just so that I didn't leave as hungry as I arrived. And this was my most expensive meal of the holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment