Sunday 19 November 2017

OMD at the Roundhouse

This was the first of four gigs this week, and possibly it was the best.

It was also a nostalgia trip for me, OMD being the fist band I ever saw. Well we are all a lot older now, and this was a very middle-aged crowd. I went with one of my thirty-ish mates and he definitely brought the average age of the audience down. Anyone under 50 would do that.

Let me start by praising the venue. The roundhouse is great. Lots of space as its circular so you can usually walk easily round the outside even when full. The ironwork gives it plenty of character.



 The support act was a band called Tiny Magnetic Pets. Somewhat cruelly, but accurately, I suggested they wouldn't be out of place on a cruise ship. Electronic music, but very tame.



 OMD however were awesome. My mate who hadn't been that excited about seeing them beforehand endorsed my view of the band - a very entertaining evening with no weak songs, even though tracks from their new album were interlaced with their large back catalogue of standards. Lead singer Andy McCluskey is 58 now, but still dances with energy. Ok, he dances like a dad at a wedding, but he goes for it, much to the amusement of my companion. "Dance as if no one is watching" was his advice to the audience.

The whole set was perfect. And all delivered with a sense of humour and warmth. Everyone was amongst friends here.







Andy McCluskey




 At times Andy swapped with his co-founder Paul Humphreys as lead singer, first of all for Forever Live and Die. Was just a nice touch.


















They finished on Electricity - their oldest and fastest song. Ageing limbs still managed one last frenetic bop. A fine evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment