Sunday 3 March 2019

Kew (not the orchid festival)

Clarissa thought it would be a nice idea to go the the orchid festival at Kew. I readily agreed and Thibault knows to go along with things sometimes. So we went. I did note the warnings about the glasshouse being busy at weekends, and stressed this. But was not taken seriously. I should have been. If you are expecting an entry full of photos of orchids, well so was I. But none. We never went, faced with the enormous snaking queue. Would have meant spending at least an hour, probably more, just in a queue, which wasn't any of our ideas of a happy way to spend a Saturday afternoon.



So instead I tried to lead us on a walk around anything that I thought might be blossoming in Kew - spring bulbs, magnolias and rhododendrons, all tempted out early by the unseasonably lovely weather in late February. Clarissa and I photographed blooms while Thibault spotted aircraft overhead. This is a great place for plane-spotting.

But back at the magnolia.










Crocuses



And the rhododendron dell.











At the point we felt like a little light refreshment and decided it was warm enough to sit outside, it very soon wasn't as the sun went behind thick cloud. So that was a cue to head into the Palm House. Which was a very pleasant temperature. Now what I like about palms is the ability to take almost abstract modern art images. Like these:














Well, I find them quite pleasing.

T & C with a lot of palm tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment