Sunday 31 March 2019

Luxor - King's Island

I like a winter holiday to escape the cold and find a bit of sun. I went late this year, in March, and  I returned to somewhere I had been before, namely Luxor in Egypt. I had even been to the resort before, so I knew what I was letting myself in for.

So let me start with the hotel. It is the Maritim Jollie King's Island, sat on its own island in the Nile. It has a lot going for it. Being on an island it is isolated from the hawkers etc outside (more about that  later). The accommodation is based on chalets. Imagine hexagonal chalets with  6 rooms in each which are obviously wider at the front and narrow towards the bathroom at the back.



It has three beautiful pools. Two are infinity pools which have a kids area at the back of them. The other is adults only, which sounds slightly dodgy but just means no kids. As it happens none of this mattered as while I was there there were hardly any kids anyway, certainly not enough to cause any annoyance to grown ups. And here was the problem (which may be largely a matter of the time of year), but although clearly established as a family hotel, this was like the Exotic Marigold Hotel. The residents were at the very elderly end of the scale. There is a huge fitness centre too, but what need is there for state of the art treadmills when your guests can barely walk without a stick?

The grounds are well maintained and so it is just a very nice place to be and wile away one's days.







Views across the Nile are spectacular.


And it is never long before a Nile cruise ship passes by.


This is the "Horizon Pool"














Below is the adults only pool, called the "Relaxing Pool."



Outside reception as you drive into the hotel.

Am not a chess player, but if one had to play anywhere....











And this is the Infinity Pool - my favourite of the three










Yes my feet


A hooded crow popped in for a drink. There are hundreds of hooded crows about the place (and thousands of sparrows)






The West Bank, where the Valley of the Kings is, in the distance across the Nile







































































No comments:

Post a Comment