Monday 15 February 2021

Chinese New Year

It was Chinese New Year at the weekend, and my support bubble invited me over to celebrate. I was hardly going to turn down the opportunity to see real people in the flesh, especially with the promise of good food and drink. I wasn't disappointed. Although I was almost frozen. I got the pedal taxi down there on Friday afternoon, but it was perishing cold, and sat on the front you are totally exposed to the wind. Even wearing three layers on my legs and four on my torso, I was still frozen. Took me about an hour to stop shivering. I could barely hold the glass of red wine Thibault poured to revive me. Truly first world problem.

But all worth it for dinner!


Dessert was pandan flavoured doughnuts. Delicious despite being so alarmingly green.



Saturday morning Thibault took me out for a walk in Greenwich and Blackheath to stock up on charcuterie and bread, as well as get 10ks of exercise before lunch, while poor Clarissa tried to get through her backload of work.

Greenwich is just such a beautiful spot. Busy even in lockdown, but no doubt quieter than normal. Not much in the way of photos: I could have taken loads but T isn't that patient....😀





The walk between Blackheath and Greenwich is particularly nice with just wonderful houses lining the way

Blackheath itself is nice enough, but very exposed, and this was probably the coldest day of the year. God knows what the windchill factor was, but it felt like the wind was trying to peel my face off. And damn near succeeding.

The Rangers House - a place I mean to visit when we are allowed to visit places again....


I would love to claim this as a Snow Goose, but I think it is just an escaped domestic goose.


Lunch was ramen. Delicious again - quite a spread. You can see why I didn't take much persuading to visit.




In the afternoon it was Clarissa's turn to take me for a walk (by this time I felt I needed to remind Thibault that I wasn't a pet and didn't actually need to be taken out for exercise twice a day to stop me soiling the flat....) A much shorter walk round nearby Sutcliffe Park in the fading afternoon light. It hadn't got much warmer...



On Sunday after lunch I made the long trek home. I only trekked half the way, from Lee to the City to catch a train home. Did a couple of detours - one to Southwark Park 












The park has a very attractive bandstand, presumably recently restored as looked pristine.




And then a I took another little wander around Shad Thames before crossing over Tower Bridge. Atmospheric.




















No comments:

Post a Comment