Tuesday 9 February 2021

Good news and more snow

 Well I feel more optimistic than I have for a while. I got my first Covid jab on Sunday, far sooner than I expected. But the the rate of vaccinations in this country is really quite phenomenal, and from my experience the whole process is very efficient. We should have everyone (except the nutters like Piers Corbyn who would prefer to believe that it all a conspiracy to inject us with microscopic tracking devices - God that is one dysfunctional family!) vaccinated by the summer. So that makes me feel more confident in myself having had the jab that I can do things like go shopping. It also makes me think we can get back to something like normality in the foreseeable future - back to dinner parties and gigs and holidays and football matches.

Of course if one wanted to look on the dark side, I trudged 9 miles in a blizzard for a jab which the very next day people said might not be as effective as they thought. Are you kidding me! And I have had a reaction to the vaccination, as I was warned might happen. Nothing grievous. For me it is just a dull ache in my limbs and lower back. Not pain as such, really just discomfort, but which unfortunately just keeps waking me up at night. But in the grand scheme of things, nothing to get bothered about.

And one of my best friends has secured a new job. Normally that would be a nice thing but nothing to get too excited about. normally. But she so hates her current job that the change converts to one of great joy. When she rang to tell me the excitement in her voice was palpable.

Also of course the days are getting longer. I do think this always is a great thing for the spirits. Getting dark so early is miserable.

We have also had, unusually, more snow. And "nice" snow, which means for me enough to be scenic, but not so much that it settles, gets turned into slush and then freezes again making the place into an uneven ice rink. So I popped out again with my camera, wrapping up warm as it is bitter.

























And want to see some waterfowl? Got a few decent shots, accentuated by the weather.



There were a few Shovellers out on the lake.

This illustates why they are called Shovellers - the shove like beak.









Shoveller with a couple of tufted ducks for company



Large numbers of Canada Geese.



A little group of Mallards in the snow



Some Common Gulls



The lone Grey Heron













No comments:

Post a Comment