Tuesday 31 August 2021

Chiswick House & Gardens (x2)

 I did this walk from Hammersmith twice in a week, first midweek with my teenage friend Luka


...and then at the weekend, on a rainy Saturday, with Erika and her daughter in law Clarissa.


Two rather different trips not just because of the weather and the fact that Chiswick House was closed on the Tuesday when walking with Luka, but also reflecting the different interests of my companions. So Luka is more into birds - hence this shot of Egyptian goose chicks. Have often see Egyptian Geese before but first time have seen their chicks.


And as Luka and I had done the walk comparatively quickly we decided to extend to Brentford as Luka had never been to Brentford. I think it is fair to say we were not overly impressed. But on the plus side we did see an actual working boatyard.



One of the nice parts about this stretch of the Thames is that it is used for rowing and sailing. While I have no direct interest in either, sail boats just make for nice photos of the River.


Chiswick House is only open later in the week and at £12 for a relatively small house it is a little steep, but I had found vouchers online that allowed us entry at £5 each, which was rather more acceptable! I love the house and its classical decor, although unfortunately they do not allow photos inside, so I have none to show you. You will just have to go....



The park is full of little classical monuments - like this pairing of obelisk and temple.


However you can take photos of the glasshouse and gardens which I proceeded to do. 














And after the walk with Erika and Clarissa we met up with Erika's husband at a pub on the river which Adrian had scouted out for us. The Bell & Crown food was very decent actually.














No comments:

Post a Comment