Tuesday 5 April 2022

Ash and Supergrass at Brixton Academy

This was a blast from the past. Two bands that shot to fame in the nineties. Sadly attending this gig on my own, as it had been rescheduled from December due to you know what, which meant me losing my intended companion. But I was pleased I persevered on my own.

First up Ash. An Irish band that were never quite to my taste, apart from the brilliant song "Girl from Mars". I think my issue is they have that sort of rock bombast but the songs are really post punk three minute thrashes stretched out. But you don't often get a mosh pit for a support band! They have their fans.


And I have to say lead singer Tim Wheeler looks in remarkably good shape for 45. Maybe some people thrive on the rockstar lifestyle!













Supergrass produced a long set of hits (with a particularly long encore). Interesting demographic looking around the crowd - both a lot of middle-aged folk who will have followed them for 30 years, but also a lot of young teens who have obviously discovered them more recently.

I rather assume Gaz Coombs' hat on stage is covering a bald spot, but they also look pretty well preserved. Sung "Alright" without a trace of irony, including the line "We Are Young" although Gaz is I think the youngest at 46. 



But they are far from a one man band, even if Gaz does get all the attention as lead vocalist. Mick Quinn on guitar and supporting vocals is very good - he really has a fine voice to back Gaz. the band would not sound the same without him.
















For a fair bit of the gig they also supplemented their sound with a brass section







I think Danny Coffey is also a cut above most drummers - hard top photograph at the back of the stage over his cymbals though!

























 

No comments:

Post a Comment