Saturday 12 November 2022

Sigur Ros at Brixton Academy

 Despite a tube strike (which did for my friend who was coming to this gig and indeed without whom I probably wouldn't have bought tickets) I made it to Brixton to see Sigur Ros. They are comfortably Iceland's most popular band but I don't think they have much competition there. This is very much arthouse stuff.

It is not easy to describe the Sigur Ros sound. Imagine two mating Humpback whales getting it off to a background of some electronic keyboards. It is pretty ethereal stuff. And there isn't anything quite like it. But as unlikely as it may seem, they sold out Brixton. No mosh pit here. A reverent silence more in order with the crowd, and several attempts to applaud at the "end" of pieces were premature as it was just a quiet bit of the song.

So, astounding weird vocal and terrific light show. Worth the travel headache.

















Not really my thing, but then again totally different to what I normally listen to, or what any other band sound like really, so it is good to be taken out of one's comfort zone. And while I would have much preferred being at the front for the actual performance (I was in the balcony because my absent friend doesn't like standing at the front), a nice seat while waiting was very much appreciated. And allowed me to chat to a couple from Worcester who were next to me. 


Took two buses to get home (one for 16 stops, one for 41!) but made it back half past midnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment