Tuesday 28 September 2010

Livingstone I presume

So first day of my Zambia and Botswana trip and arrive at Livingstone Airport via Joburg. Slight hitch in no one to meet me, but one of the many drivers making pick ups took pity on my Paddington bear lost expression and took me to my lodge. Nice enough with cool pool.

Met my travelling companions for the next week - three middle-aged Australian ladies. A good start. I have never failed to like an Aussie I have met - just such open people. And Val's penchant for champagne - well when someone announces they are known as Bubbles back home, you know its going to be fun. And was surprising how many remote places out here do have bottles of champagne in stock.  Val and Betty would go the whole way (ie both Zambia and Botswana), and Diane drop off after the Zambia leg to be replaced by 4 additional travellers in Botswana.

First afternoon and we travelled Victoria Falls. Although this was the dry season, there was plenty enough water coming over the falls for me. Indeed such was the spray, even from the distance we were at, that I had to resist some of the photo-taking. The really amazing bit was the rainbows caused by the sun through the fine spray - rainbows that curve more than 180 degrees from below your feet to way in the distance above your head. And it all rather puts into perspective the little dribbles that pass as falls in Wales. Sometimes size counts. In waterfalls it does.

Of course we were not alone. For one a number of large and uninterested baboons sitting around. And a rather more attentive Zimbabwean lad trying to impress us with his knowledge of Australian and British prime ministers, and more importantly getting us to buy little copper bracelets (which I seriously doubt contained any copper). Failing to interest us with the quality of goods he tried the safer (well with me anyway) tack of making a donation towards a poor Zimbabwean's education. Not sure I believed a word of his medical school ambitions, but nevertheless acquired a worthless bracelet for 10 dollars and at least he stopped pestering us. But at least that was the last time we got any hassle at all on the entire trip.







(As a political side-note, the trip did bring home just what a ridiculous awful disaster that c*** Mugabe is. Just the sheer numbers of the best Zimbabweans having to work outside the country, including our tour guides for both legs of the tour)

No comments:

Post a Comment