Monday 14 October 2013

Adam Hills, Duck & Waffle. Tate Britain

A bit of a busy week. With one of my ex-trainees I saw the excellent Adam Hills at the Apollo. Great performance, apart maybe from a less successful grand finale, this was being filmed for his DVD. we were e-mailed to urge us to be in our seats n=by 7:30. Unfortunately, only some of us were. About half the audience were told 8:30 was show-time. So they had to improvise, and Josh Widdecombe, Adam's co-host on the Last Leg, was hauled off his sofa watching the Manchester derby to do an 20 minute impromptu slot to entertain the half of us told 7:30. So we had a bonus.

Adan is an immensely likeable Aussie comic, who has his main performances signed for the deaf, which itself becomes a feature of the comedy. He had a nice bit of banter with, for example, a 12 year old in the audience. When he got the mic to the lad he found a much deeper voice than expected. "Well, your balls have well dropped. I am just saying that so she has to sign that."

Mid week we had a client event at the Duck & Waffle restaurant at the top of the Heron Tower. That is a tower so tall that it actually looks down on the Gherkin. A great spot for a reception. I got horrendously drunk, as one is wont to do when there are people filling up your glass with champagne from 6pm until the small hours of the morning. Got home about 2:30am. My decision to take the Thursday as holiday was one of my better plans. I me ta friend for lunch, who described me as looking more "crumpled" than normal. I sobered up over an afternoon looking at the new hang at Tate Britain, only interrupted by a call I needed to make back to the office (which obviously made me feel quite important!)










No comments:

Post a Comment