Monday 14 October 2013

Pride

I quite like going to the theatre to be surprised, ie going to a play without knowing what its about.

I knew Pride had a gay theme, and that it starred Matthew Horne, so I and my friends were expecting something light-hearted. Unfortunately Matthew Horne has the least part of the foursome, and much of this is far from light. Male rape is not fun, and is a bit of a downer mood-wise on stage. Quite uncomfortable. We might have been better prepared.

Having said that not an awful night at the theatre. Its a play about two different gay relationships, one modern, one from earlier in the last century, in less enlightened times. But it felt a bit dated to me. It might have more resonance a decade or so ago, but in the days of same-sex marriages this all seems old hat.


No comments:

Post a Comment